Posted on: September 10, 2017
A travel weary Thompson Rivers University WolfPack women’s soccer team ran into a big test Sunday afternoon (Sept10) in Edmonton, Alberta.
After taking 16 hours to get to MacEwan University following their bus breaking down near McBride, BC, the WolfPack were hammered 7-2 by a strong Griffins squad.
TRU lost both their first Canada West regular season matches after falling 3-0 to the University of Northern British Columbia Timberwolves on Friday (Sept 8).
The WolfPack were down quickly 3-0 to a strong MacEwan squad who got two goals from Kaylin Hermanutz. TRU’s markers were from two rookies who played together with the Upper Island Riptide (Courtenay/Comox, BC) last season. Camryn Curts and Olivia Bates scored off of set plays.
MacEwan outshot TRU badly (29-3). Dannielle Robertson (1st year, keeper, Courtenay, BC) was in goal for TRU who now moves into Saskatchewan and Regina for league matches next weekend (Sept 15-16).
1. MacEwan-8:54-Kaylin Hermanutz from Meagan Lemoine (1st of year)-top right hand corner. Griffins 1 TRU 0
2. MacEwan-14:24-Meagan Lemoine from Meghan Oram (2nd of year)-bottom right corner Griffins 2 TRU 0
3. MacEwan-16:13-Brittany Costa from Kristen Skrundz (2nd of year)-top right corner. Griffins 3 TRU 0
4. MacEwan-36:53-Reaghan McCarthy from Meaghan Lemoine (2nd of year) -from throw in, tapped in low backside Griffins 4 TRU 0
5. TRU-39:20—Camryn Curts from Natalie Verdiel (1st of year)- cross to bottom right corner. Griffins 4 TRU 1
6. MacEwan-45:00-Suekiana Choucair-unassisted (1st of year)-bottom right Griffins 5 TRU 1
7. MacEwan-60:01-Kaylin Hermanutz from Reaghan McCarthy (2nd of year)-bottom right. Griffins 6 TRU 1
8. MacEwan-90:00-Kristen Skrundz from Suekiana Choucair (1st of year)-bottom left corner from corner kick. Griffins 7 TRU 1
9. TRU-90:00-Olivia Bates from Kelsey Thorkelsson (1st of year) bottom left corner off scramble Griffins 7 TRU 2
Shots: TRU 1-2:3 MacEwan 13-16:29 Corners: TRU 0 MacEwan1-3:4
Saves: TRU: 3-8:11 MacEwan 0-1:1
Keepers: Dannielle Robertson (TRU) Emily Burns (MacEwan)
TRU 0-2 MacEwan 2-0
TRU head coach KELLY SHANTZ:
On game: “ We played nervous at points but improved from the first game. We have some work to do on stressing defensive responsibilities. Full marks to MacEwan. They have a good team and have three or four girls who can really finish the ball. They scored three or four ‘cracker goals’ punishing us for our mistakes. Not unhappy with the girl’s performance—we need to relax. We have work to do and they know it. On the upside, we got two goals from set plays. Both were the results of hard work by Natalie Verdiel (3rd year Powell River, BC) and Kelsey Thorlaksson (2nd year, Winnipeg, MB). Danielle Robertson (1st year, Courtenay, BC) was solid in goal. There wasn’t much she could do on a lot of them. She made some very good saves. Injuries are starting to get to us as we lost two starters following the game with UNBC. That is a set back. It was a really long trip. We didn’t get into Edmonton until 1 AM MDT. We had to wait four hours on the side of the road after our bus broke down.”
The WolfPack continue their four game road swing as they move into Saskatchewan to take on the Huskies in Saskatoon on Saturday September 16th. They then visit the Cougars at the University of Regina on Sunday, September 17th.
The WolfPack regular season home opener will be Saturday, September 23rd when the UBC Thunderbirds pay a visit to Hillside Stadium for a noon kickoff.
All of the WolfPack matches—home and away—will be webcast on a pay per view basis on www.Canadawest.TV.
(With assistance from MacEwan University Sports Information)