Posted on: September 9, 2017
The Thompson Rivers University WolfPack scored four times in the second half and went onto defeat the host University of Fraser Valley Cascades 4-2 in Canada West men’s soccer play on Saturday (Sept 9).
The WolfPack upped their record to 2-1-3 as they got goals from four different players. Thompson Rivers is unbeaten in their last four starts.
After Fraser Valley took a 1-0 lead on a first half goal from Gurmaan Jhaj, the WolfPack tallied four times in just over 12 and a half minutes.
Scoring for TRU were Ryan Glanville (5th year, midfield, Williams Lake, BC), Finlay McPhie (4th year, defender, Vernon, BC), Koffi Nyavor (3rd year, midfield, Lethbridge, AB) and Colton Walker (5th year, midfield, Sicamous, BC).
Lubomir Magdolen got the victory in the nets as he made his sixth straight start in the nets for TRU.
Canada West first star of the week Mitchell Popadynetz (4th year, midfield,Nelson, BC) had two assists for TRU.
1. 16:04-UFV-Gurmaan Jhag –hard low shot, right post inside penalty area (1st goal of the year) UFV 1 TRU 0
2. 64:18-TRU-Ryan Glanville assisted by Mitch Popadynetz-off feed, quick chip shot to left hand corner (2nd of year) TRU 1 UFV 1
3. 67:52-TRU-Koffi Nyavor assisted by Ryan Glanville-bouncing shot from six yards out after a low cross (1st of year) TRU 2 UFV 1
4. 69:17-UFV-Tammer Byrne assisted by Elijah Sampson –off set piece, top left hand corner(1st of year) UFV 2 TRU 2
5. 70:33-TRU-Finlay McPhie assisted by Mitch Popadynetz-header off a set piece (1st of year) TRU 3 UFV 2
6. 71:52-TRU-Colton Walker assisted by Finlay McPhie-fed ball to Walker who broke in 1v1 on keeper (1st of year) TRU 4 UFV 2
Shots: TRU 5-12:17 UFV: 2-2: 4 Corners: TRU4-4:8 UFV:1-1:2
Saves: TRU 0 UFV:1-4: 5 Shots On Goal: TRU 9 UFV 2
Keepers: TRU: Lubomir Magdolen UFV: David Hicks
TRU 2-1-3 UFV: 1-2-1
TRU head coach John Antulov:
On game: “Overall another strong match. We had most of the possession in the first half and in the second we put lots of pressure on them and it resulted in scoring chances.
On Ryan Glanville cashing in on chances: ‘ He was really solid holding the ball up and the other players were feeding off him. He was a big contributor along with all the midfielders: Mitch (Popadynetz), and Thomas (Lantmeeters, 2nd year, Zulendaal, Belguim). They all gave us good position. Their play was infectious. We won a lot of balls tonight and that helped move forward our attack. The guys were relentless the entire 90 minutes. With Koffi (Nyavor) coming on late in the first half, he and Justin (Donaldson, 3rd year, midfield, Kamloops, BC) put a lot of pressure on with shots on goal.Colton Walker was outstanding for us tonight and was our man of the match. “
On the backline: “ They were strong as well. We gave up two goals off set pieces but the rest of the night.”
The WolfPack ‘s next home match will be Sunday, September 17th when the University of Lethbridge Pronghorns pay a visit to Hillside Stadium. Kick off is 2 pm. The match is sponsored by Chahal Priddle Lawyers.
All of the WolfPack matches—home and away—will be webcast on a pay per view basis on www.Canadawest.TV.
The WolfPack are hosting the 2017 USport Men’s Soccer Nationals November 9-12th. Tickets on sale in September.