Posted on: January 10, 2018
The Thompson Rivers University WolfPack are back at the friendly confines of the Warner Rentals court at the Tournament Capital Centre for the first time in 2018.
After dropping a pair of games on the road last weekend (Jan 5-6) in Victoria, Scott Reeves and company entertain the University of Fraser Valley Cascades. The teams will go at it Friday night (Jan 12) at 6 pm and Saturday (Jan 13) at 5 pm.
Date: Fri Jan 12/Sat Jan 13 Time: 6 pm/5 pm PDT
Location: Warner Rentals Court, Tournament Capital Centre, Kamloops, BC.
TRU Record: 7-7 Last 5 Games: 1-4 (3-3 at home this season)
UFV Record: 4-10 Last 5 Games: 1-4 (0-8 on road this year)
Important Game Notes:
Michelle Bos (4th year, guard, Surrey, BC) is leading the WolfPack in points averaging 11.6 per game. Shenise Sigsworth (5th year, forward, Kamloops, BC) is next at 8.9 per game. Sigsworth is coming off a 20 point, 10 rebound performance Saturday (Jan 5) in Victoria.
Leilani Carney (3rd year, guard, Burnaby, BC) is fifth in the Canada West in three point percent (41.5).
Fraser Valley has three players averaging double digits scoring wise this season led by Shayna Litman (5th year, forward, Coquitlam, BC) (15.2). Sara Simovic (5th year, guard, Nanaimo, BC) averages 13.5 points per game while Taylor Claggett (3rd year, forward, Mission, BC) has been averaging 12.6 points per game. Claggett also leads the team in rebounding (8.9) per game. Litman is averaging 7.3 boards.
Cascades Coach Al Tuchscherer is into his 18 th season at the helm of UFV.
After these games, the WolfPack and the Cascades each get a bye next weekend (Jan 19-20).
Thoughts from WolfPack head coach Scott Reeves:
1. You commented that you have players ‘out of position’, what does that mean? “We don’t have a true post player so we have to play players offensively and defensively out of their natural position.”
2. Could you talk about the rivalry you have had with UFV in the past? “Al runs a great program and we have always had close battles in the past. Regardless of where the teams are in the standings we always know it will be a good battle.”
3. What are you expecting this weekend? “ We are back home in front of our great fans for the first time in 2018 and we are excited to compete.”
4. What area of their game do you have to key on in order to be successful? “Defensive rebounding. They have too many people that can score and we need to limit their chances.”
5. Shenise Sigsworth seems to be coming into her own as her career is winding down. Have you noticed she has turned it up in recent weeks? “Shen has been the most consistent student athlete in her 5 years that this program has ever seen. Her work ethic on and off the court never changes. She deserved to play well last week.”
If you can’t make the game/match: watch online (pay per view) at www.canadawesttv.ca
Home game/match highlights will be available by logging onto www.gowolfpack.tru.ca